I had to wait and few days until I attempted to even try and put my thoughts on this subject into any kind of order.
A month ago, my puppy lost her innocence while at Doggy Daycare and had an ‘encounter’ with an intact male. Even though I was assured there wasn’t any intact males there, and I even sent her with protective pants in her little ‘School Bag’
My Vet who has been simply an incredible human being throughout this, told me regardless if she should be pregnant or not we needed to wait a month before she could be spayed. The owner of the Doggy Daycare went with ‘Ooops’, not so much of an incredible human being.
So Friday rolls around and I drop my ball of fluffiness off for what we are all praying will be a straightforward spay. It never occurred to me that at the pre op appointment I would face the questions of what the Vet should do, should she indeed be pregnant?
I am still beyond pissed that the chance of her being pregnant had even arisen, I truly never stopped a second to consider the ‘What ifs?’
Every day there are thousands of puppies being thrown away, not to mention the bitches euthanized after their puppy bearing years are done. I am so conflicted but my pup isn’t even a year old. She has still a little growing to go, she hasn’t even lost her first tooth. If she were indeed pregnant the Vet couldn’t be 100% sure that she would be able to carry any pups without endangering their lives or hers. I hate that she and I are in this difficult situation through no fault of our own. I decided that I couldn’t take the chance of loosing her before her life had really started. She is my responsibility and I have to safeguard her, no matter what the cost.
I agreed with my vet that should she be pregnant she was still to go ahead with the Spay. I left my fur kid there and had everything crossed that she had dodged that bullet.
My sweet, furry monster was indeed pregnant with three puppies. During the op which had now escalated to be major surgery from routine due to the pregnancy her blood pressured dropped and she had to spend a couple extra hours hooked up with fluids. My heart is broken for so many different reasons. I have to give my little one meds for pain and meds to remove her milk production and help with the rush or hormones that she will have to endure with no longer being pregnant.
I realise that I’ve been thinking of these 3 week old embryos as fluffy little puppies that everyone sees in the adverts is frowned upon and that’s the age old debate, when is life, life?
I know it is the best decision for my pup, but it is so hard not to anthropomorphise this situation.
Will she know?
Did she know?
Is she going to be the same dog afterwards?
A million questions are bombarding me. I try to fill my day with anything and everything until it’s time to collect her and bring her home.
My little one is put into my arms and nothing else matters. She is very subdued, very quiet but considering the day she has had its only to be expected. I bundle her into the car and try to make her as comfortable as possible with her blankets and we drive home.
What a night. I know she was getting miffed at me everytime I checked on her through the night. She gave me the equivalent of a puppy eye roll and ‘Mom, chill already’ look.
Hearing her snoring was I think the happiest sound I have heard in a very long time. She slept and I mulled over what had just happened. I think I had envisaged a painful death for the Doggy Daycare owner over a hundred ways before dawn broke. What would she have to say about the pups and now lack of them? My bill had trebled from what it should have been to allow for the additional surgery and meds, fluids etc she needed. I would give anything for any of my animals but shouldn’t this be a cost covered by the Doggy Daycare owner? Did I even want her money?
Facebook Messenger pings and it’s her asking how the patient is? So I share how she had been pregnant, had a major surgery and complications. Her response was one line. ‘I hope she feels better soon’
I shut off the computer and went to check on my snoring monster. In a weekend my poor furball had major surgery, I plotted the demise of another human being and am not being forced into being the adult, because I have to have a so this is what happened and here’s the bill.
Right now I will nurse my ball of fur back to health. I don’t care about the money, I care about her and any other dog this could happen to. What if she had have been a $5000 Pedigree dog ?
She should have been safe, I can’t imagine if this tale were to get out that it would enhance her Business ratings.